Saturday, May 8, 2010

Movie Reviews: How to Train Your Dragon

Well, it certainly has been a while. If anyone is still reading this... Anyway, I apologize for the lack of updates, but I've really been busy with school. Winter semester is over, but I'm staying for spring term, so between that and finishing the book I'm working on right now, I'll be kind of busy, but I'm going to try and take the time to at least write a little something for the blog now and then. I actually have a few reviews written, I just need to go over them. I also need to review the Fairy Tail OP and ED singles. I'll get on to that shortly.

As you can tell from the title, this review is for How to Train Your Dragon. I actually saw this a week or so ago, but haven't gotten around to writing about it until now. Also, I won't be seeing Iron Man 2 just yet, probably next week, and then I'll review it. By which point my review will be redundant. Unfortunately I've been trying to find a steady job, and until then I don't have the money to watch movies on their opening night. Hopefully I'll be able to change that soon and then I'll provide reviews when they are at their most relevant. Then maybe people will have a reason for visiting my blog.

On the surface How to Train Your Dragon is a children's movie. But once you dig deeper you realize that it's still a children's movie. But an entertaining one. Before I continue, I have to tell you that I didn't see it in 3-D. I've heard that the 3-D was great, but since this blog focuses on story and writing, I don't find that important. Story is king. Every once in a while I'll mention animation and art style for animated features and manga and graphic novels, but the important thing I'm analyzing is the writing.

Recently it feels that Hollywood features ignore the story far too much. Any time a film is criticized, it's generally the script that receives the most flack. And with good reason, far too often script is ignored in movies, and problems in the movie can usually be traced back to the script. Writing is not only the most important part of any story telling medium, it's also the most underestimated one.

How to Train Your Dragon was not only well animated, it also had a solid script. Any weaknesses I could have identified are easily prescribed to the need to keep the movie at a workable length for children.

The main character, Hiccup, is a typical protagonist. He's different from the people around him, and by the end of the movie he's found worth in his uniqueness. Same old story we've heard before, and overall the weakest part of the movie.

However, while the framework of the plot is a familiar story, it's properly implemented and augmented by the elements unique to the movie's setting to provide an entertaining story. There really wasn't anything surprising in the plot, so this isn't a movie I'd recommend if you like surprising twists in your stories. How to Train Your Dragon is familiar in a comforting way. It's a story that we've all heard before, being told with a new and entertaining twist.

It's very entertaining for children, though not entirely appropriate for children younger than six as it contains some frightening images. For the adults the movie, is an entertaining watch. Some haughty critics may consider children's films and literature as below them, but in my opinion the greatest of these are those that are interesting for children and adults alike, much like Disney movies, and the Pixar films.

I stand corrected.

Hard work goes into both adult and children's literature and movies, and it's obvious when heart has gone into the product. As such it should be appreciated.

And that's my reasoning, now if you'll excuse me I'm off to review W.I.T.C.H.

Adult.

0 comments:

Post a Comment